Monday, February 17, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? February 17, 2014

It's Monday! What are you Reading? From Picture Books to YA edition, is a meme created by Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee from Unleashing Readers.  Every Monday book lovers share their own #IMWAYR posts.  So here I are the books I've read, listened to and loved this week.

Last week I didn't post as I was distracted by the Olympics. So here are the books I've read, listened to and loved over the past two weeks.


Loved Books of the Past Week
These are the books I loved from last weeks pile and will be placing 
on the desks of children and colleagues alike this week.

Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures
by Katie DiCamillo, Illustrated by K.G.Campbell

This year's Newberry winner is such an amazing and uplifting book that I can't stop thinking about it.  The story of a girl (Flora) and her intelligent squirrel (Ulysses) touches on the themes of friendship, belonging, acceptance, bravery, and family (both the ones we're born with and the ones we create).  The novel begs to be read out loud and would be best suited for students in later grade 2 and older.  The author introduces us to a variety of characters and gives each one depth, creating realistic and likable characters who have hopes, dreams, and flaws.  Through Flora & Ulysses' eyes we see the world as wonderous though sometimes uncertain and in the end, always full of love.


The 5th Wave
by Rick Yancey
All I can say is WOW!  The 5th Wave had twists and turns, some hinted at and others I never saw coming.  The story, told from several different perspectives, is about what happens when aliens come to visit and are not friendly.  Yancey offers a slightly different take on the alien apocalypse, a version where there are no death rays or explosions, but a systematic wiping out of the human race.  Each wave of their plan dwindles down the number of humans on the planet and everyone is waiting for the next one, the 5th one.  I really enjoyed the book, both the action sequences and the quieter moments between characters.  I found I had a similar reaction to this book as I did to some of the historical fiction I've picked up in the past few weeks.  I wondered, as I listened, if I would be able to survive in the world of the book, and I'm still unsure if I could.  The first in what is projected to be a trilogy, the 5th wave left me wondering what comes next.


Bits & Pieces
by Judy Schachner
A sweet story of a somewhat dopey cat and his life with a family who loves him.  Schachner, author of the Skippyjon Jones series, creates a realistic view of life with a cat.  Being a cat lover myself, I could relate to some of the "helpful" habits the cats has, including sitting on the newspaper to "help" the human read it.  While two cats are on the cover, the story is really the adventures of the older cat and the trouble he often seems to find himself in.  This is an interesting book to use when talking about setting or prediction, and one that my students enjoyed it as much as I did. 


Genie Wishes
by Elisabeth Dahl
The story of Genie, a middle school student and class blogger, found its way into my hands because it is an upcoming selection for the #virtualbookclub.  I probably wouldn't have picked it up on my own as I tend to read either elementary or young adult fiction.  Genie's story however, brought me back to middle school and its themes are ones that any tweenager could relate to.  The topics of friends drifting apart and navigating the beginnings of romantic relationships were both handled in a manner that allows Genie to be a role-model for young girls.  I would put this book in the hands of fifth and sixth graders because I know they would relate to both the characters and the situations.


What I'm Listening to on My Commute
I have a 20-30 minute car ride to work and often pass the time with a good book.

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2)
by Marissa Meyer


What's on My Bedside Table This Week:
This is the book or books I'm looking forward to reading this week.

I didn't get to The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B by Teresa Toten, so it is on my night stand for the week.  Here are a few others: 
  
The Man with the Violin
by Kathy Stinson, illustrated by Dusan Petricic


The Invisible Boy
By Trudy Ludwig, illustrated by Patrice Barton


 Well that's it for this week!
Let me know if you've read any of my #IMWAYR books from this week or having any suggestions of what I should read next.  Have a great week and happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. I so want to read Scarlet. I loved Cinder. Maybe I can find some library funds toward the end of the year... The Man with the Violin is on my BTSB wish list.
    Mrs. Brown Loves Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, the Fifth Wave sounds intriguing. Too many books out there. I will have to read this one for sure though. Thanks for sharing.

    My W.W.W. post this week

    ReplyDelete