Sunday, January 26, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? January 27, 2014


It's Monday! What are you Reading? From Picture Books to YA edition, is a meme created by Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee from Unleashing Readers.  Every Monday book lovers share their own #IMWAYR posts.  I didn't get a lot of time for reading this week, but here are the books I did read, listened to and love.


Loved Books of the Past Week
These are the books I loved from last weeks pile and will be placing 
on the desks of children and colleagues alike this week.
Hattie Big Sky
by Kirby Larson

It has been a long time since I've read historical fiction, but Larson's story reminded me just how great it can be.  Listening to Hattie's adventures this past week was reminiscent of the Little House on the Prairie Series that some of my third graders are starting to discover this year.  As the story unfolded I found myself day dreaming of a "simpler" time and wondering if I would have the strength and gumption to build my own homestead at 16 years of age.  I'm not sure I could have.  The characters, who are well developed and believable, left me wishing they really existed.  In addition to an interesting and adventurous story, Larson provided historical details I hadn't known about.  There is nothing like being entertained and learning at the same time!  I can't wait to read the sequel Hattie Ever After in the near future.


The First Drawing
by Mordicai Gerstein
This week "the past" seems to be a reoccurring theme. The First Drawing is the imagining of how some of the earliest cave drawing came to be.  This story combines history, art and creative story telling, drawing the reader in.  I loved the idea that these first drawings were done by kids, and that they are front and center in this tale.  Gerstein's illustrations have earthy colours that create that caveman feel.  This is a story I would use near the beginning of the year to inspire my students to see the world through an artists eye.


What I'm Listening to on My Commute This Week
I have a 20-30 minute car ride to work and often pass the time with a good book.

Fortunately the Milk 
by Neil Gaiman, Illustrated by Skottie Young 

 
I can't wait to start this one as I love Gaiman's storytelling style.

What's on My Bedside Table This Week:
This is the book or books on my to-read list for this week.

Genie Wishes
by Elisabeth Dahl
I am reading this to prepare for another #virtualbookclub meeting later in the year.

 Well that's it for this week!
Let me know if you've read any of my #IMWAYR books from this week or having any suggestions of what I should read next.  Have a great week and happy reading!

12 comments:

  1. I envy you for having a copy of Fortunately, the Milk. I have yet to buy that. It's not available in our library yet, unFortunately. The First Drawing looks like a very interesting read! Love the cover design! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get so impatient when the library doesn't have the book I want. I will let you know what I think of it next week!

      Delete
  2. I've heard differing things about Fortunately, the Milk, so will be curious to see what you think. Genie Wishes had its moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about Genie Wishes! I suppose I'll get a feel of Fortunately the Milk tomorrow, we'll see which side I come out on.

      Delete
  3. I loved Hattie Big Sky and the characters in it as well. I think that Kirby Larson also did such a good job of making the story realistic. Although some of it is quite heartbreaking, it is accurate that those troubles would happen during that time period. You will definitely enjoy Hattie Ever After too. The First Drawing sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea I completely agree with you, I could believe everything that happened, including the almost chicken drowning. I will let you know what I thought of Hattie Ever After once I get to it. There always seems to be lots of book piles and not enough time.

      Delete
  4. I loved both Hattie books. I am a historical fiction fan. I am looking out over my desk and can see Fortunately the Milk from here. Hmm, should I get up and read it over lunch? No, it's enchilada day so NO books today. What a mess. I am going to hold off on Genie Wishes until it gets closer to #virtualbookclub but I was very happy for Kate DiCamillo's happy Newbery news today. I start Flora and Ulysses tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Julee, any other historical fiction you can recommend? The last semi-historical one I read before Hattie was the Diviners and I did like the period parts of that. Let me know what you think of Flora - I am starting that one 3 books from now I think.

      Delete
  5. Great list. I haven't heard of any of these before. I feel like I've been hiding under a rock as I say that. They all sound fantastic. I hope you enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy - I often feel like that too when I see all the great books others have on their lists. There are too many good books and not enough time.

      Delete
  6. Love Hattie Big Sky! It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete