Sunday, January 19, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? January 20, 2014


It's Monday! What are you Reading? From Picture Books to YA edition, is a meme created by Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee from Unleashing Readers.  Every Monday book lovers share their own #IMWAYR posts.  So here I are the books I've read, listened to and loved this week.


Loved Books of the Past Week
These are the books I loved from last weeks pile and will be placing 
on the desks of children and colleagues alike this week.

How to Train a Train
By Jason Carter Eaton, illustrated by John Rocco
I love Eaton's style of writing for this book.  The style brought back memories of how-to slide shows from the 70's we used to watch in elementary school.  Rocco's illustrations are lush and detailed, with artfully placed windows and bolts that bring the trains to life.  My favourite page depicts trails in the "wild" as a boy watches from above waiting for the perfect moment to coax a train closer.  Elementary students k through 5 would enjoy this story and it is a great jumping off point for student's how-to writing.


Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)

by Marissa Meyer 

 
This book was a departure from my usual genre preferences.  A sci-fi fairy tale, Cinder tells the life of a cyborg living in futuristic New Beijing.  Listening to the story on my commute, I often found myself spending a few extra minutes in my parked car, and caught myself yelling at the radio more than once.  The story is well thought out, and had enough departure from the original fairy tale to keep me wondering what might happen next.  I think I will be placing Scarlet, the second in the series, on my nightstand very soon.


That's a Possibility!: 
A Book About What Might Happen
by Bruce Goldstone
 My non-fiction selection for the week, I found Goldstone explained the ideas related probability in child friendly language.  He uses real-life examples and takes time to establish each concept before moving to the next.  While my students do not study probability until next year, I'd love to have this one in our library for them to explore.


What I'm Listening to on My Commute
I have a 20-30 minute car ride to work and often pass the time with a good book.

Hattie Big Sky
by Kirby Larson
This has been on my to-read list for over a year and I happened upon it at the library this week.  This historical novel continues my trend of listening to genres I wouldn't normally pick out for myself.  I am two discs in and enjoying it.


What's on My Bedside Table This Week:
This is the book or books on my to-read list for this week.

Counting by 7s
by Holly Goldberg Sloan
Truth be told I started reading this book a few weeks ago, but had to put it down to get caught up on a few things.  I am looking forward to re-uniting with the characters this week.


 Well that's it for this week!
Let me know if you've read any of my #IMWAYR books from this week or having any suggestions of what I should read next.  Have a great week and happy reading!

11 comments:

  1. LOVED Counting By 7's. Also love the concept of showing students creative stories when introducing them to how-to writing structures. I will definitely add the train book to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Melanie. I am really enjoying it and can't wait to get back to it tonight. If you are looking for other good how-to books, any of the Scaredy Squirrel books by Melanie Watt are great for that too!

      Delete
  2. I also read Cinders this week. Loved it. Will be purchasing Scarlet as soon as possible!
    Mrs. Brown Loves Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Sarah! Let me know what you think of Scarlet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a 120-mile round-trip commute to work and get through lots of books on audio. Love audiobooks! Right now, I'm listening to Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke & Bone--really good. I wanted to reread it before reading the 2nd book in the series. Several of my students who are into dystopian fiction have recommended Cinder. It's in my TBR pile, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I enjoyed Hattie Big Sky on audio last year and hope to read the sequel this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Elizabeth, that is a long commute! No wonder you love audiobooks:) Mine is only about 30 minutes each way. I have heard several others talk about Daughter of Smoke & Bone and added it to my list, but I haven't looked for it yet - have you enjoyed the audiobook version?

      Delete
  5. You have some of my faves here. I loved Cinder, Hattie Ever after and Counting by 7's. I will recommend That's a Possibility to my partner teacher who teaches math. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment Gigi. Glad you found a book to recommend, I am always excited to find a book with good math connections.

      Delete
  6. I loved Hattie, Counting By 7s and Cinder. I thought the probability book was pretty good too. I haven't read How to Train a Train, but it looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I am enjoying the first too and can't wait to read Scarlet. How to Train a Train is so great, and illustrated by the writer of Blackout which is also great.

      Delete
  7. I saw Cinder a few times in our library. It's not exactly like the books I read but I wouldn't mind giving it a try. Counting By 7's looks fabulous, though, Ms. Nairn! =)

    ReplyDelete