Monday, January 13, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? January 13, 2014


It's Monday! What are you Reading? From Picture Books to YA edition, is a meme created by Jen from Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee from Unleashing Readers.  As a silent blog follower of several years, I have read many #IMWAYR posts written by my book reading heroes like @daydreamreader and @colbysharp.  I am excited to now be able to participated in this weekly ritual of sharing books I've read, listened to and loved.


Loved Books of the Past Week
These are the books I loved from last weeks pile and will be placing on the desks of children and colleagues alike this week.  This week I am still catching up on some holiday stories among others.

Carnivores  
by Aaron Reynolds, illustrated by Dan Santat 


My boys in particular will love the story of some carnivores trying to give up the lifestyle to become more likeable.  The cover art made me grab it off the self and I always enjoy Dan Santat's illustrations.

An Otis Christmas
by Loren Long


Loren's pictures are so crisp and sweet, they draw the reader in.  This story with be on my holiday book list for many years to come.

Gifts of the Heart
by Patricia Polacco


This heart-warming book reminds us all that the best gifts don't come from a store.  A great story especially for older kids who have younger siblings that still believe.


What I'm Listening to on My Commute
I have a 20-30 minute car ride to work and often pass the time with a good book.

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)
by Marissa Meyer 
 

I am a third of the way through and enjoying the story.  I like looking for connections between this story and Cinderella. 



What's on My Bedside Table This Week:
This is the book or books on my to-read list for this week.

The Year of Billy Miller
by Kevin Henkes 

 
I am reading this in preparation for the  #virtualbookclub that takes place on January, 20 at 9pm CST.


 Well that's it for this week!
Let me know if you've read any of my #IMWAYR books from this week or having any suggestions of what to read next.  Have a great week and happy reading!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Cinder was so wonderful and I LOVED Scarlet even more. I am desperate for Cress to come out in February! I hope you enjoy it enough to continue the series! Have a great week! ~Megan
    http://wp.me/pzUn5-1NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Megan! I am really enjoying Cinder, I think I know what's going on, but I am prepared for a plot twist. I am hoping to finish listening to both of them before Cress comes out. I don't usually read books with a science fiction spin, but I think I may try more after this.
      - Georgete

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness-I've not seen Gifts of the Heart! I've got to get my hands on that :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, it just came out in October and I had been on the waiting list at my library for a while.

      Delete
  3. There is so much warmth in Patricia Polacco's picturebooks and illustrations. Perhaps one day I'd just sit in our library and go through ALL of her books that we have on the shelves. This one looks absolutely beautiful. She is simply so prolific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, after you mentioned that, I looked at Patricia Polacco's website and realized I have only ever read this book and Thank you, Mr. Falker. I think this is one author I will need to back and explore more. It was a great story, very heart warming. What is your favourite book by Polacco?

      Delete